- 2 cups raw walnuts
- 2 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup raisins or cranberries
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons coconut or olive oil
- 1/3 cup raw honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the first 3 ingredients to a blender or food processor. Pulse a few times to chop the nuts, but don’t grind them into a fine meal.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the egg white with the water until bubbly and slightly foamy.
- Add the oil, honey, vanilla extract, to the egg white/water mixture and whisk together well.
- Pour the chopped nut mixture into the mixing bowl, along with the dried cranberries or raisins and shredded coconut. Stir everything well to make sure it is all coated.
- Spread the granola mixture evenly on the parchment-lined baking sheet and bake for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden-brown and crispy, stirring once after 10 minutes (see note)**.
- Remove granola from the oven and allow it to sit for 10 minutes without stirring it – this is where the clustering happens, so be sure to not skip this step!!
- Use a spatula to get under the granola and release the large clusters.
- Once cool, store the granola in a glass jar.
- Eat granola with your favorite milk or yogurt and fruit
**Keep an eye on the granola while it is baking, as it can go from done to burned quickly.
Source adaptation: http://bit.ly/1y2Lg0F