- 4 ounces bacon
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 leek, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 5½ ounces Savoy cabbage, thick stalks removed and shredded
- 4 cups vegetable stock or water, heated
- ⅔ cup full fat coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, diced and at room temperature
1. Heat a large pan and saute the bacon over a medium to high heat for a 25 minutes, rendering the fat, but stopping short of crisping it.
2. Reduce to low heat and add the onion, potatoes, leek, and cabbage. Cover with a lid and cook for 10 minutes until well softened but not coloured, stirring occasionally.
3. Pour the warm vegetable stock or water into the cabbage mixture and bring to the boil, then reduce the heat back to medium low.
4. Allow the soup to simmer for 5-10 minutes and season to taste.
5. Stir in the milk and simmer for a few minutes until the soup has a creamy texture.
6. Remove the soup from the heat and whisk in the butter. It is important not to reboil the soup once the butter has been added, or it will curdle.
7. Ladle the soup into serving bowls.
Source adapted: http://bit.ly/2mPpVtF